WordPress 4.5, code-named “Coleman”, was released just a few hours ago and our systems have already starting rolling it out to customer sites.
It is the first MAJOR WordPress release of 2016, and comes with some exciting new features. It will also come with some problems (mainly for third party plugins) so if you see anything odd, wait a few days and give the developers a chance to fix things. Your site will automatically pull down the fixes, rest assured. An example of something broken we spotted was the custom login pages. The developers are already on the case.
Among the new fixes and improvements are:
Login With Email
Many online services like Facebook, Twitter, etc. let you sign in not only by using your username but also with your email address. While you can easily forget your username, most people don’t forget their email address.
WordPress 4.5 allows users to sign in using either their username or email address as username.
Inline Link Editor
One of the keyboard shortcuts in WordPress is CTRL+K (Command+K on Mac), which allows you to insert links in posts. Until 4.4.2, it opened the insert link popup which was a bit distracting.
In WordPress 4.5, pressing CTRL+K shows an inline insert link menu.
Simply type the URL and continue writing your post without removing hands from keyboard.
Optimized Image Generation Performance
Responsive images were one of the major improvements in WordPress 4.4, which allowed WordPress to show smaller image sizes to users on smaller screens. WordPress 4.5 takes it to a new level by improving the performance of how WordPress generates image sizes. Previously, WordPress used 90 for the image quality when compressing images. Now it will use 82, which produces nearly identical images with much smaller sizes.
Theme Logo Support
Adding a logo to your site from customizer has been a long awaited feature. Many premium WordPress themes allowed users to set logos from theme options, but there was no standard way to do it. With WordPress 4.5, theme developers are now able to enable theme support for logo. This will allow users to set a logo for their website using the customizer.
There are many other additions. Also look out for these minor changes, mostly aimed at developers:
- Updated Libraries – WordPress 4.5 comes with new versions of bundled libraries for Underscores, Backbone, jQuery, and jQuery Migrate.
- Selective Refresh in Customizer – Previously, some changes in customizer required entire page reload. WordPress 4.5 comes with a framework to allow selective refresh in the customizer. It is fast and will allow developers to do great things with live previews. (WP issue #27355).
- Customizable Embed Templates – WordPress 4.4 introduced embeds which allowed users to embed posts from their own and other WordPress blogs. WordPress 4.5 makes embed templates customizable so that theme authors can adjust embed display to match their theme. (WP issue #34561)
- WP_Site Class – WordPress 4.5 comes with WP_Site class for multisite WordPress installs. (WP issue #32450)
- Script Loader – WordPress 4.5 introduces wp_add_inline_script() which makes it easier to add inline scripts. (WP issue #14853, WP issue #35873)